Here are instructions for those wishing to collect ballot signatures to place myself, Toby Fernsler, on the November 2014 ballot for Sheriff of Boulder County.
Requirements for You, the Circulators:
You must be an American Citizen, a Colorado resident, and 18+ years old.
Step 1: Petition Preparation
- Download the petition.
- Print all pages of the petition single-sided on regular white letter-sized (8.5″x11″) paper.
- Staple together all pages of the “Toby for sheriff” ballot pdf. It is recommended that this is done with four staples across the top so it stays together and is clearly not tampered with. This packet constitutes one ballot petition “section”. The pages must remain stapled together until they get to the County Clerk and Recorder’s office, and they may reject it if it looks like the staples were removed and reattached. They may also reject a section if it is too crumpled or damaged, please use a clipboard or firm writing surface.
Step 2: Collect Signatures
Collect signatures of registered Boulder County voters.
- As the ballot petition Circulator, you must witness every signature.
- Signers must complete all six boxes of a signature line.
- Ballot sections have 54 signature lines, but you don’t have to collect 54 signatures.
- Corrections: If a small correction is made, the signer should initial the change. If a larger correction is required, the signer should completely cross out the incorrect information and proceed to use the next two blank lines.
Step 3: Notarize the Petition
Once you are done collecting signatures, the section must be notarized. i.e. signed and validated in front of a notary. You as the Circulator may do this yourself, or attend a “signing party” where I get a notary to be available for some time and everyone shows up and gets their ballot petitions signed. Perhaps there will be pizza and beer, or age-appropriate food for those over thirty. This will happen beginning of June.
Note that no further signatures may be collected on a section after it has been notarized.
Step 4: Deliver the Petition
Deliver the ballot petitions to me at 525 South 44th Street, Boulder CO 80305 prior to July 10, 2014, the last day I can turn in ballot signatures.